Be the first to know when new content like this is available!
Subscribe to our newsletter to get alerts about new posts, local news, and industry insights.
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
For B2B cannabis brands, social media marketing has a unique set of rules compared to other industries. That’s because the rules of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, and other popular social media platforms make it challenging to publish content without putting your cannabis brand’s page, profile, or channel at risk of being deleted without notice.
Bottom-line, the best practices related to what, when, and how often to post on social media that work for businesses in other industries won’t necessarily work for B2B cannabis brands. The secret recipe for social media marketing success lies in your brand’s specific target audience and your ability to engage, educate, and entertain them with relevant content.
With that said, let’s take a look at some of the best practices for posting on social media based on real data gathered from a variety of research studies. These best practices provide a great blueprint to start with. As you build your audience and get more active on social media, track your own data and modify your strategies as needed to get the most from your time investment on each platform.
What to Post on Social Media for B2B Cannabis Brands
What should you post on your social media accounts? The key is to put your target audience first. What would they be interested in that’s related to your industry, business, and brand?
If you focus on publishing quality content with a goal to educate, engage, or entertain, you should be okay. Keep in mind, a site like LinkedIn is much more business-oriented and professional than a site like Instagram, so the same topic may need to be discussed differently across platforms to get the best results.
To help you get started, below is a list of 40 content and topic ideas that can be turned into text, image, and video posts. You can use these posts across many social media platforms to increase brand awareness, recognition, loyalty, advocacy, and even sales (albeit indirectly for cannabis brands).
- Your company blog posts and articles (teaser snippets with links to the full posts)
- Company news
- Company achievements
- Press mentions
- Employee introductions
- New hire introductions
- Cannabis culture
- Research reports and statistics
- Market and industry data
- Interesting and inspirational quotes
- Industry news
- Case studies
- Webinar videos
- Webinar recaps
- Event footage
- Free resources
- Job listings
- Community news and information
- On this day in history
- Tips and tricks
- Question and answer
- Event announcements
- Surveys and polls
- Infographics and visualizations
- Pre-recorded videos
- Live videos
- Shared content from reliable sources or influencers
- Company history
- Explainer videos
- Gifs and animations
When to Post on Social Media for B2B Cannabis Brands
There have been many studies about the best times to post content on various social media platforms. Below is a sample of recommendations from recent studies conducted by two of the most popular social media management tools, SproutSocial and Hootsuite, so you can start testing your own publishing schedules.
When to Post on Instagram
Instagram is all about images and videos. For B2B cannabis brands, Instagram Stories and Instagram Guides provide great opportunities to educate, engage, and entertain your target audiences.
Here are the best times to post to Instagram based on research:
- Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays just before 11:00 a.m. with peak engagement happening Tuesdays at 2:00 p.m. (via SproutSocial)
- Monday through Friday between 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. EST (via Hootsuite)
When to Post on Facebook
Facebook attracts a wide variety of users, most of whom access the site on their mobile devices, so be sure to publish mobile-friendly content on your business Facebook Page.
Here are the best times to post to Facebook based on research:
- Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. (via SproutSocial)
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. EST for B2B brands (via Hootsuite)
When to Post on Twitter
Twitter may not be as popular or trendy as Instagram or Facebook, but it’s still an important part of B2B social media marketing.
Here are the best times to post to Twitter based on research:
- Wednesdays and Fridays at 9:00 a.m. (via SproutSocial)
- Mondays and Thursdays between 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. EST for B2B brands (via Hootsuite)
When to Post on LinkedIn
LinkedIn is a great place for B2B cannabis brands to invest time since its purpose is to bring professionals together. LinkedIn users expect to see business-related content in their feeds.
Here are the best times to post to LinkedIn based on research:
- Wednesdays at 3:00 p.m., Thursdays between 9:00 a.m. and 10:00 a.m., and Fridays from 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (via SproutSocial)
- Mondays and Wednesdays at 7:45 a.m., 10:45 a.m., 12:45 a.m., and 5:45 p.m. EST for B2B brands
When to Post on YouTube and TikTok
YouTube is the second most popular search engine in the world (behind Google) and the most popular video platform, so it should be a part of your social media marketing strategy.
TikTok is extremely popular, particularly among younger audiences, for short video content and can be a useful part of some B2B cannabis brands’ social media marketing plans (e.g., industry career training and certification providers or professional recruiters).
Here are the best times to post to YouTube and TikTok based on research:
- YouTube: Thursdays and Fridays between 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. (via SproutSocial)
- TikTok: Wednesdays at 9:00 a.m. EST and Fridays between 7:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. EST (via TikTok)
How Often to Post on Social Media for B2B Cannabis Brands
With the many restrictions on cannabis businesses, it’s typically recommended that B2B brands invest less time on social media publishing than brands in other industries simply because you’re likely to get a higher return on your investment from other marketing channels.
However, having an active presence on social media platforms is essential to establishing your brand’s social proof and a trusted digital footprint. With that in mind, following are recommendations for how often to post to several social media platforms based on research from OptinMonster, Later, Buffer and HubSpot:
- Instagram: One post per day (via Buffer)
- Facebook: Two to five posts per week
- Twitter: The more you post, the better. Start with 3-5 posts per day.
- LinkedIn: Two to five posts per week.
- YouTube: One video per week and increase your publishing schedule when you can without sacrificing quality (via OptinMonster).
- TikTok: Three to five posts per day (via Later)
Key Takeaways about Social Media Publishing
Finding the best publishing schedule to optimize engagement from your social media posts requires testing. Consider who your audience is and where your audience is. Take time zones and work schedules into account as you develop your schedule, and be prepared to make changes as you gather more data from your social media tools. What works today may not work tomorrow as people’s behaviors change and social media platforms’ algorithms change.