Sweetened naturally with dates and a touch of maple syrup, this vegan zucchini bread features whole grain flour, walnuts, and a modest amount of oil, making it a healthy bread recipe that you can feel so good about.
- ¾ cup chopped, pitted dates (i.e., Medjool)
- ½ cup boiling water
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup plant-based milk, plain, unsweetened (i.e., soy, almond, oat, coconut)
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose wheat flour
- 2 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (plus more for garnish, if desired)
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon cardamom
- 1 ½ cups shredded zucchini (you’ll need 1-2 zucchinis, depending on their size)
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped walnuts (plus more for garnish, if desired)
- Place chopped pitted dates at the bottom of a mixing bowl (may use an electric standing mixer with bowl). Pour boiling water over the dates and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Add maple syrup, plant-based milk, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, and flax seeds and mix well with the electric mixer until mixture is smooth but dates are still chunky. Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Add white whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, baking powder, salt (if using), cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom. Mix with electric mixer just for 1-2 minutes, until mixture is smooth.
- Mix in zucchini and walnuts by hand.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Pour batter into the lined loaf pan and smooth surface with a spatula. If desired, sprinkle additional chopped walnuts and cinnamon over the top.
- Place in center of oven and bake for about 55 minutes, until golden brown and fork inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before slicing it.
- Makes 12 slices (1 slice per serving).
To make this recipe gluten-free, use gluten-free flour blend instead of wheat flours.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan zucchini bread