- Take the focus off food. You might offer a choice of food to your loved one and then once the meal is complete, clear the table and move on to fun activities
- Offer a doggy bag for your young person to take home with them to enjoy some of the treats without feeling they are being watched
- Plan other outings that are not food related. Cinema, theatre or shopping outings together.
- Focus on gratitude for how far you have come and any progress you have made
- Enjoy time spent with your loved one for the wonderful person they are rather than their eating disorder.
Whilst your young person may seemingly (and bravely) manage a family gathering they can often feel intense anxiety in the days afterwards. This is the perfect time to keep them busy, plan other activities and remember that support is available.
Butterfly Foundation 1800 334673
Kids Helpline 1800 551 800
EDV (from Jan 4th) – 1300 550 236