This Slow Cooker Turkey Sausage & Bell Peppers Recipe is an easy, healthy dinner with kielbasa and lots of bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes.
This is one of those dump meals that is so fast and easy to prepare. Chopping the veggies is the hardest part, then your work is essentially done.
This is a great choice for a healthy dinner to add to your meal plan, packed full of veggies to load you up on nutrients (you eat lots of colors of the rainbow with this recipe!).
It also makes a great freezer meal, too! You can do all of the prep ahead of time, freeze it in a gallon ziplock bag, then just dump it in your crockpot the day you want to eat it and let the slow cooker work its magic!
How To Make Slow Cooker Turkey Sausage & Bell Peppers
I like to use Hillshire Farms Naturals turkey kielbasa for this recipe because I like that it doesn’t use nitrates, but any cooked turkey or chicken sausage will work!
Chop all of your veggies and sausage and dump it into your slow cooker.
As I mentioned, that’s the hardest part! You can even buy pre-chopped onions and peppers in your produce section if you want to splurge.
I use my 7-quart Frigidaire Professional slow cooker for this recipe, but any 7-quart slow cooker will work!
Now, pour in the diced tomatoes (I love the added flavor the fire-roasted variety adds, but you are welcome to use plain or Italian seasoned diced tomatoes instead!)…
and all of the seasonings…
and stir it all up!
That’s it for the prep.
And it’s all ready to cook! You can choose to cook it on high for 4-6 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
All slow cookers cook a bit differently so just keep a bit of an eye on it to see if it needs and more or less time.
And, when you lift the lid, you will have a lovely crock full of delicious veggies and protein!
You’ll notice there is a bit of liquid in there, which makes a delicious sauce when you mix in whole grain pasta, brown rice, or quinoa.
I chose to mix in some leftover pasta and there was just enough sauce to coat the pasta perfectly.
That’s all there is to it! This makes a great dump meal, a healthy dinner for those especially busy weeknights, and I’ve used it often in our weekly meal prep.
What Do I Serve With Sausage & Peppers?
This is basically a one-pot meal, so you don’t necessarily need anything else with it, but you can serve it with:
- whole-grain pasta
- brown rice
- whole wheat bread (as a side or you could use whole wheat hoagies to make sausage & pepper sandwiches!)
Looking For More Healthy One-Pot Dinner Ideas?
- 12oz turkey kielbasa, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 2 green bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1” chunks
- 2 red peppers, seeded and cut into 1” chunks
- 2 yellow peppers, seeded and cut into 1” chunks
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into chunks
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbs Italian seasoning
- 1 Tbs tomato paste
- 28oz fire roasted diced tomatoes
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Optional 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- For serving: brown rice, whole wheat pasta, quinoa, etc
- Pour all ingredients except for optional cheese into slow cooker and cook for 4-6 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
- Stir, try a bite, and add salt and pepper, to taste.
- If desired, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and replace lid for about 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve over whole wheat pasta, brown rice, or quinoa.
**The nutritional information does not include pasta, rice, or quinoa.
Serving Size: 1/6
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 174Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 686mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 4gSugar: 11gProtein: 12g