03 Nov Getting the Support You Need Throughout Pregnancy, Birth and Postpartum with Jada Shapiro
Did you know that the memory of your birth and your satisfaction with it directly correspond to how you perceive being treated during pregnancy, birth, and postpartum? This a big reason why it’s important to make sure you’re getting the support and respect you need throughout your whole journey of pregnancy, birth, and parenthood.
In this week’s episode of Yoga|Birth|Babies, I speak with maternal health expert and the founder of Boober, Jada Shapiro. Jada and I dive into the specific topics you should discuss with your birth team before your birth (including your care provider hospital, pediatrician, lactation consultant)!
Setting clear expectations about the care you expect to receive can prevent anxiety, strife, and misunderstandings. We also talk about the importance of trusting your gut, seeing red flags, and listening to your “spidey” senses. This episode is so valuable for expectant and new parents as those who support them.
In this episode you will learn:
- Learn a bit about Jada and how she got into birth work.
- From Jada’s years as a doula, she shares where she has seen the biggest disconnect between what the birthing person was expecting and what the hospital and care provider were able to offer.
- Red flags someone should be aware of when speaking to their team about their birth preferences and values.
- How the pregnant person can talk to their birth team about specifically “catching the baby’ not just pushing positions, in terms of options and flexibility that go beyond the most conventional positions.
- How to ensure that the team at your birth will honor the choices and values already discussed with your main care provider.
- The general scope and offerings of a lactation consultant.
- Questions to ask lactation consult before hiring them to make sure they are a good fit.
- One final tip/piece of advice Jada offers new and expectant parents.
- Where you can find Jada’s work!
Jada Shapiro is a maternal health expert and the founder of boober, where expectant parents and new families find expert, vetted pregnancy to postpartum care providers, like doulas, lactation consultants, or mental health therapists when they need it (in-person or virtual). She also founded Birth Day Presence, NYC’s most trusted source for childbirth classes and doula training, which has supported over 20,000 parents since 2002. She is a birth and postpartum doula, childbirth educator, lactation counselor, birth photographer, mother, and step-mother. Jada has assisted hundreds of births for first-time parents, A-list celebrities, and everyone in between. She advises leading actors about childbirth and breastfeeding for major films and is a sought-out media expert on pregnancy, childbirth, postpartum, lactation, and newborn parenting.
Support Our Sponsors:
- Somfy: Learn more about Somfy powered motorized window coverings, or connect with a Somfy dealer in your area to get a customized quote for your home by visiting somfysystems.com/podcast
- Boober: Looking for a lactation support, birth doulas, mental health therapists, and postpartum doulas. Use the code PYC to get 10% off your first service at www.getboober.com
If you love what you’ve been listening to, please leave a rating and review! Yoga| Birth|Babies
To connect with Deb and the PYC Community:
Instagram & Facebook: @prenatalyogacenter
Youtube: Prenatal Yoga Center