If you’ve browsed my recipes before or follow on Instagram, you definitely know I love spicy food and I love nutrient packed bowls with lot’s of nutrient rich, tasty ingredients. There’s a certain spicy cashew dressing out there at a popular salad chain, and since I don’t live close enough to one to enjoy their bowls regularly, I started making my own at home. Being an active mom with a business that always has clients asking for easy recipes, “throw together meals” are my favorite kind. This power bowl with spicy cashew dressing is perfect to prep ingredients for on the weekend so you can throw together lunch or dinner during the week in minutes, whether you’re packing to bring along, or need something at home after a tough training session.
Thanks to NOW® for sponsoring this post! As always, all opinions are my own.
Balanced Plant-Based Power Bowl
I may eat mostly plants, but you don’t have to cut out animal products in order to enjoy the benefits of a plant based diet. Whether you follow a vegan or omnivorous diet, we know that eating more whole plant foods means getting in more high quality carbohydrates that offer fiber, vitamins, minerals, and tens of thousands of plant compounds most commonly known as antioxidants. These nutrients and plant compounds work with the carbs, fat and protein we need to eat so that we can use them effectively for energy metabolism, mental productivity, recovery from exercise, disease prevention and more.
This power bowl with spicy cashew dressing checks off all of the components I recommend including in each of your meals, especially if you’re an athlete or have a highly active lifestyle:
- to support many metabolic and structural processes, including muscle repair
- via my easy garlic baked tofu, the quinoa, and even a little from the veg and dressing
- Color (veggies and/or fruits)
- for vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants
- via the greens, carrots, beets, and even the grain if you choose Tri Color Quinoa
- food is boring without flavor and you need to enjoy what you’re eating to feel satisfied
- this power bowl is really a flavor bomb between the bright veggies, spicy cashew dressing, and cajun sesame sticks
I get many of these quality ingredients from NOW® Foods, a brand I’ve been a fan of since high school. Having toured their offices and production facility in 2018, I am even more apt to recommend them, having seen the rigorous quality standards they hold themselves to with both food and supplement production. Not to mention they’re a family owned company that hasn’t sold out to a bigger corporation yet, and they feel strongly about making their products affordable. Don’t you just love supporting businesses like that?! You can grab 20% off of your order at NowFoods.com with code KELLYNOW through 12/31/21 (not an affiliate code).
Homemade Spicy Cashew Dressing
I tested this the hard way too many times, before deciding to stop trying with whole cashews and a variety of spicy add ins and pivoting to two simple ingredients I use almost daily: cashew butter and sriracha. I kid you not, it comes out way better at home when you simplify. The Nutty Infusions Roasted Cashew Butter already offers a great flavor and sriracha has never done me wrong. With a little crushed red pepper to elevate the heat, plus lime juice and basil for balance, we had ourselves a homemade spicy cashew dressing winner!
Power Bowl with Spicy Cashew Dressing Recipe Notes
- If you’re an athlete or exercising intensely at least one hour each day, double the recipe when prepping in advance! You need more energy and protein than the average person, and you don’t want to be left craving more when you get to the bottom of your bowl.
- To adjust the spiciness down, eliminate the crushed red pepper. To adjust it up, increase the sriracha.
- The spicy cashew dressing does come out best when using fresh basil vs. dried, but if you only have dried, you can use 1 tsp.
Power Bowl with Spicy Cashew Dressing
For a balanced and satisfying meal in minutes that supports your active lifestyle, prep the ingredients for this plant based power bowl with spicy cashew dressing.
Spicy Cashew Dressing
- ¼ Cup NOW® Nutty Infusions Roasted Cashew Butter or other cashew butter
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 ½ tablespoons sriracha
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons NOW® Avocado Oil
- 2-3 tablespoons packed fresh basil
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 8 cups mixed greens
- 3-4 cups cooked NOW® Quinoa
- ¼ – ½ block garlic baked tofu https://kellyjonesnutrition.com/easy-garlic-baked-tofu/
- 1 medium beet
- 2 medium carrots
- ½ cup NOW® cajun sesame sticks
In advance prepare quinoa according to package instructions as well as the garlic baked tofu according to recipe directions. Both have a cooking time of approximately 15 minutes.
While the quinoa and tofu are cooking, prepare your dressing. Using either a mini-food processor, high quality bullet blender, or regular sized food processor, add all ingredients and blend until well combined. You may add an additional tablespoon or two of water to achieve a thinner consistency based on your preferences.
After rinsing and cutting off the ends of the vegetables, grate your carrots and chop your beet into thin half inch slices. Set aside until you’re ready to assemble your bowls.
Divide greens into 3 to 4 bowls before also dividing the quinoa, tofu, carrots and beets overtop. Drizzle the spicy cashew dressing over the bowl and garnish with the cajun sesame sticks.
Published at Tue, 23 Mar 2021 20:00:00 +0000