Let’s have some fun today with K words! Words that start with the letter K are kid-friendly and kind. We have a list of K letter words, animals that start with K, K coloring pages, places that start with the letter K and letter K foods. These K words for kids are perfect for use at home or in the classroom as part of alphabet learning.
K Words For KidsIf you are looking for words beginning with K for Kindergarten or Preschool, you have come to the right place! Letter of the Day activities and alphabet letter lesson plans have never been easier or more fun. Related: Letter K Crafts This article contains affiliate links.
- K is for Kind, which means having a tender and helpful nature.
- K is for Kosher, meaning something follows dietary laws.
- K is for Knowledge, means the result of learning.
ANIMALS THAT START WITH LETTER K:There are so many animals that start with a letter K. When you look at animals that begin with the letter K, you will find awesome animals that begin with the sound of K! I think you will agree when you read the fun facts associated with letter K animals.
1. Kangaroo is an Animal that Starts with KKangaroos’ bodies are designed for jumping! They have short front legs, powerful back legs, huge back feet and strong tails. All of these help them to jump around and their tail balances them. Along with wallabies, Kangaroos come from a family of animals called macropods, which means ‘large foot’. Their big feet help them with all that leaping around! Baby kangaroos are called joeys, and a group of kangaroos is called a mob. Australia is the kangaroo homeland. Have you ever heard that kangaroo’s box? Sounds quite unreal doesn’t it. But it’s actually true, they do really box. It wouldn’t be cool to get in a boxing match with them. Male kangaroos fight to decide which kangaroo is the toughest. You can read more about the K animal, Kangaroo on Cool Kid Fact
2. American Kestrel is an Animal that Starts with KThe American Kestrel is the smallest falcon in North America. Weighing 3-6 ounces, a small kestrel weighs the same as about 34 pennies. Its feather patterns of blues, reds, grays, browns, and blacks make this small bird of prey a real eye-catcher! Kestrels often hunt as a family group. This gives the young birds a chance to practice their hunting skills with their parents before they have to survive on their own. These amazing birds can see ultraviolet light – colors that are invisible to the human eye. Apart from their good looks, American Kestrels are also swift fliers with astounding aerobatic abilities. A very good friend to farmers, they feed mainly on insects, mice, voles, lizards, and snakes! You can read more about the K animal, American Kestrel on Peregrine Fund
3. King Cobra is an Animal that Starts with KThe King Cobra is the longest venomous snake in the world, reaching up to 18 feet. It is famous for its fierceness and is extremely dangerous. The King Cobra lives in Southeast Asian forests and near water. They can swim well and can move quickly in trees and on land. King cobras typically grow to around 13 feet long, but they have been known to grow as long as 18 feet. The color of the king cobra is black, tan, or dark green with yellow bands down the length of the body. The belly is cream colored with black bands. The main food for the king cobra is other snakes. However, it will eat small mammals and lizards too. They are the only snake that builds nests for its eggs. The female will guard the eggs until they hatch. You can read more about the K animal, King Cobra on National Geographic.
4. Kookaburra is an Animal that Starts with KThe Kookaburra is a member of the Tree Kingfisher family. It is famous for having a loud call that sounds like human laughter. There are four species of Kookaburra. All four kookaburras have a similar build. All are reasonably large birds. They have short, rather round bodies, and short tails. The most striking thing about a kookaburra is its big bill. They live and feed in forests. Fish do not form a major part of their diet. All kookaburras are mainly carnivorous (meat eaters). They eat a range of animals, from insects to snakes. You can read more about the K animal, Kookaburra on Sea World
5. Komodo Dragon is an Animal that Starts with KThe Komodo Dragon is a fearsome lizard, the largest species of lizard in the world! This terrifying beast is covered with a scaly skin that is a speckled brownish yellow allowing it to be camouflaged and hard to see when sitting still. It has short, stubby legs and a giant tail that is as long as its body. It has a set of 60 sharp serrated teeth and a long yellow forked tongue. These giant lizards live on four islands that are part of the country of Indonesia. They live in hot and dry places such as grassland or savannah. At night they live in burrows they have dug in order to preserve heat. Komodo dragons are carnivores and, therefore, hunt and eat other animals. Their favorite meal is deer, but they will eat most any animal they can catch including pigs and sometimes water buffalo. The Komodo dragon also has deadly bacteria in its saliva. Once bitten, an animal will soon get sick and die. A tireless hunter, it will sometimes follow escaped prey until it collapses, even though it may take a day or so. It can eat up to 80 percent of its body weight in one meal. You can read more about the K animal, Komodo Dragon on National Zoo
CHECK OUT THESE AWESOME COLORING SHEETS FOR EACH ANIMAL!Related: Letter K Coloring Page Related: Letter K Color by Letter Worksheet
K Is For Kangaroo Coloring PagesHere at Kids Activities Blog we like kangaroos and have a lot of fun kangaroo coloring pages and kangaroo printables that can be used when celebrating the letter K:
PLACES STARTING WITH THE LETTER K:Next, in our words starting with the Letter K, we get to find out about some beautiful places.
1. K is for Kathmandu, NepalKathmandu is the capital and largest city of the mountainous nation of Nepal, nestled about 4,000 feet above the sea level. Nepal is a country of records. It has the highest mountain in the world, the highest lake in the world, the highest concentration of world heritage sites in the world and many more. Its flag does not have four sides, but is instead two stacked triangles. The People of Nepal have never been ruled by foreigners.
2. K is for KansasKansas was named after the Kansa Native Americans – it means ‘People of the South Wind’.The state’s landscape includes grassland hills, sand dunes, woodlands, and fields of wheat. No state in the country grows more wheat than Kansas. In a single year, Kansas produces enough wheat to bake 36 billion loaves of bread. It has the nickname ‘Tornado Alley’ because it has so many tornadoes every year. Kansas was known for its wild frontier towns like Dodge City and Wichita during the settling of the wild west. Lawmen like Wyatt Earp and Wild Bill Hickock became famous while keeping the peace in these towns.
3. K is for Kilauea VolcanoKilauea is one of the world’s most active volcanoes. It is a shield-type volcano that makes up the southeastern side of the Big Island of Hawaii. Kilauea has been erupting on a continuous basis since 1983. Unlike stereotypical volcanoes — tall with a clear peak and a caldera on top — Kilauea has several craters that mark its history of eruptions. The Kilauea caldera is the main crater, but there are more than 10 other craters on the volcano. Mauna Kea’s summit registers at about 14,000 feet above sea level. But from its base, which is on the ocean floor, the mountain is approximately 33,500 feet tall — nearly a mile taller than Mount Everest, which is in Nepal.
FOOD THAT STARTS WITH THE LETTER K:
K is for KaleKale is a true powerfood with 25 percent more vitamin A than spinach and higher levels of both vitamin C and calcium. Kale gives the smoothies a really bright and happy green color and, once frozen, becomes sorbet without all the sugar. Need a genius way to get your kids to eat veggies? Try this Kale and Berry Smoothie recipe! This isn’t each and every word that starts with the letter K, as I’m sure you can tell. I just hope that this list has inspired your journey with your child. Every opportunity to connect a lesson to real life is a wonderful chance to open the world before their eyes.
More Letter K Words and Resources For Alphabet LearningCan you think of more examples for words that start with the letter K? Share some of your favorites below!