Looking for a warm and cozy meal? Our beef stew is the perfect meal to cook for a dinner spent inside. Filled with plenty of vegetables, such as radishes and carrots this stew can be cooked on the stovetop or the oven for ease.
2 Tbsp Primal Kitchen Avocado or Olive Oil
2 lbs beef stew meat, cut into ~1.5 inch pieces (we used chuck roast)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
3/4 tsp salt
2 cups chopped celery (about 3–4 stalks)
1.5 cups chopped radishes
¾ cup chopped red onion
¾ cup chopped carrot
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1 tsp minced fresh rosemary
1.5 cups beef broth (we used low sodium)
- In a bowl, toss the stew meat with garlic, black pepper and salt.
- In a dutch oven or heavy oven-safe pot, heat a tablespoon of oil on your stovetop over medium-high heat. Once hot, add some of the stew meat to the pot in a single layer – don’t overcrowd the pan! Sear the meat on each side for 4-5 minutes, then remove the meat with tongs and set them aside. Add half of a tablespoon of oil and let it heat up, then repeat with the remaining stew meat until all of it is seared and browned on the outside. Set the meat aside but leave any oil or juices in the pot.
- Place the pot back over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery and radish to the pot. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the veggies just start to soften. Add the meat back to the pot along with the broth and fresh herbs and stir to combine.
- Continue cooking on the stovetop by bringing the mixture to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer and cover the pot. Check after an hour and give the stew a stir, then replace the lid and cook for an additional 1.5-2 hours, or until the meat is tender. You may need to add a little more broth when cooking on the stovetop.
- Uncover the pot and season with salt and pepper to taste, and add more fresh herbs if you’d like. Top with fresh parsley and serve over cauliflower rice or mash or on its own.
After Step 3 you can also cook this stew in the oven. Simply place a lid on the pot and place it in the oven for 350 degrees for about 3 hours, giving a stir at about the 1.5-2 hour mark. Continue baking in the oven until the meat is tender.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: ~3.5 hours
- Serving Size: 1/6 of stew
- Calories: 453.2
- Sugar: 3.3g
- Sodium: 376.3mg
- Fat: 27.5g
- Saturated Fat: 9.1g
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 7.67g
- Fiber: 2.37g
- Protein: 42g
- Cholesterol: 119.4mg
- Net Carbs: 5.4g