This Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash recipe is a fast and easy vegetable dish that is low calorie and low carb, making it a great food for weight loss!
How to Cut Spaghetti Squash
These squashes can be tough to cut apart. I usually don’t use a microwave when I cut mine, but it definitely helps to soften the skin!
If you want to use a microwave:
- Use a large, sharp knife to poke holes along the line you are planning to cut.
- Microwave your squash for a few minutes (3-6 minutes) to soften.
- Use your knife to cut across the guideline you created with the holes.
If you don’t want to use a microwave:
- Use a large, sharp knife (having a good knife is really important here! I love using a large santoku knife for this) and cut a line, from stem to tail, pushing the knife about 1/3 of the way in.
- Make the same cut on the other side.
- Go over the same line again, pushing deeper and deeper until you have cut all the way through.
Can I Eat Spaghetti Squash Seeds?
Remove them from your squash, rinse them off, and you can roast them with your favorite seasonings for a high protein healthy snack.
*Helpful Hint – Using a grapefruit spoon can help remove the seeds and inner strands easier. The ridges “grab” the strands and separate them from the flesh easier.
How To Cook Spaghetti Squash In Your Instant Pot
After cutting your spaghetti squash in half and removing the seeds, add 1 cup of water to your Instant Pot.
Insert your trivet.
Place both halves of the squash into your pot.
Close the lid, make sure the valve is set “Sealing” and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes.
Do a quick release, then carefully remove your squash and use a fork to separate it into strands.
How To Cook Spaghetti Squash Whole In Your Instant Pot
Cutting a spaghetti squash can take some muscle, so if you’d prefer to cook it whole and cut it when it’s soft afterward, you can!
- Make sure to poke holes with a knife to allow air to escape.
- Add a cup of water to your Instant Pot.
- Use your trivet.
- Add your whole spaghetti squash.
- Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes.
- Quick release the pressure and use oven mitts to carefully remove the squash.
- Give it a little bit of time to cook (10 minutes or so) before cutting open.
That will cook the average sized squash (usually 2-3 pounds) just fine, but if you have a larger one, you may need to add a few more minutes of cooking time.
Spaghetti Squash Benefits
You don’t even need a spiralizer to make these low carb noodles! It naturally has spaghetti-like strands, which don’t taste exactly like pasta, but they are a great healthy pasta alternative.
You can see the complete nutrition information below, but it’s a great low-calorie option. That makes it the perfect food for weight loss!
This vegetable is not carb free, but it does give you a low-carb pasta alternative. If you are following the Keto diet, this winter squash is perfect for you! It contains just 5.5 grams of net carbs per cup.
High in Fiber
Fiber is great for weight loss. Low-calorie foods sometimes leave you hungry fast, but the fiber in spaghetti squash helps keep you full and satisfied longer.
High in Antioxidants
This squash is a good source of vitamin C, B-vitamins, manganese, potassium, calcium, and antioxidants.
Spaghetti Squash Nutrition Information
- 1 cup water
- 1 spaghetti squash, halved and seeded
- Add water to your Instant Pot.
- Insert rack or trivet.
- Place spaghetti squash into the pot.
- Close the lid and make sure the valve is set to “Sealing.”
- Select high pressure and set the time to 8 minutes.
- When the cooking cycle is complete, carefully move the valve to “Venting” to do a quick release of the pressure.
- Remove the lid and carefully remove the spaghetti squash.
- Using a fork, pull the squash away from the skin to form spaghetti-like strands, then season and serve however you’d like!
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 65Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 45mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 2g
This information is just an estimate and may not be 100% accurate. Always double-check the nutritional information using your specific products and ingredients.
Like This Recipe? Pin It!