Beetroot is low in fat, full of vitamins and minerals, and packed with powerful antioxidants and perhaps it is one of the nutritional vegetables available in the market. But often people shy away from having soup made of beetroot as they assume it might be bitter in taste.
This recipe has been specially curated after considering the Indian taste palate. It has a strong flavor of whole spices and the tanginess of tomatoes just cuts down any sort of bitterness in the soup. The flavor of this Beetroot Soup Indian way is very tempting and you will enjoy each soon of this.
- 2 Beetroot, grated
- 3 Tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, crushed
- 1 Onion
- 4 cups Vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper powder
- 1 Bay leaf (tej patta)
- 2 Whole Black Peppercorns
- 2 cloves (Laung)
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon Stick (Dalchini)
- Salt, to taste
How to make Indian Style Beetroot Soup Recipe
- To begin making the Indian Style Beetroot Soup recipe, dice tomatoes into small pieces and put them in an oven-proof pan. Add crushed garlic onto the tomatoes and drizzle some olive oil.
- Roast the tomatoes in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Make a puree of tomatoes once they have cooled down in a mixer grinder.
- Now take a big pan for making soup and pour some oil or butter and heat it up. Add bay leaf, cloves, black peppercorns, cinnamon into the pan and keep stirring till the time you start getting the aroma of the spices.
- Add finely chopped onion into the pan and cook it for 4-5 minutes till it becomes tender and pink.
- Add grated beetroot and tomato puree into the pan and cook for 5 more minutes. Now add vegetable stock, salt, and pepper into the pan and cook the soup for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning as per your taste. Let the soup cool down and make a smooth puree using a blender. Strain the soup and keep it aside.
- Heat a saucepan and add the strained soup. Serve it hot, garnish it with some sesame seeds and coriander leaves.
Tips: Serve Indian Style Beetroot Soup along with Bean Sprout & Corn Salad for a weekday dinner. You can also serve this soup as a starter before your Indian meal.