In this video we will cover everything you need to know about Lamotrigine, also known as Lamictal. This video is part of a video series on mental health problems. So for more mental health related videos check out this playlist:
Generic name: Lamotrigine.
Brand names: Lamictal.
Available as chewable and soluble tablets.
How to use it?
The chewable tablets can be chewed. And the solvable tablets should be solved in a glass of water.
In addition, you can take these tablets at any time, however it is recommended to take them at fixed times. This will make it less likely that you forget a dose.
When to use it?
Lamotrigine blocks sodium channels in your brain, stabilizing the neuronal membranes and thus preventing the release of glutamate.
– Bipolar disorder
What is the correct dosage?
The precise dose will depend on your specific indication of use, the side effect you might experience and the severity of your symptoms.Therefore always use the precise amount and frequency your doctor prescribed you.
– When treating epilepsy in Adults the initial oral dose is 25 mg/day. This can be slowly increased up to a maintenance dose of 100-200 mg/day. The maximum dose would be 500mg/day.
– When treating bipolair disorder in Adults the initial oral dose is 25mg 1x/day, which you doctor will slowly increase up to a maintenance dose of 100-400 mg/day.
What are common the side-effects?
– Very common (10%): rash and headache.
– Common (1-10%): irritation, drowsiness, insomnia, dizziness, tremor, nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, dry mouth, pain and fatigue.
– Uncommon (0.1-1%): double vision, blurred vision and hair loss.
– Rare (0.01-0.1%): Stevens-Johnson syndrome, meningitis and conjunctivitis.
– Very rare (0.01%): Blood abnormalities, hypersensitivity reactions, rashes and several other severe side effects.
First of all be careful to combine lamotrigine with alcohol. As this might increase it’s side effects.
In addition, it can be dangerous to drive while using this drug. As it can cause you to become drowsy, sleepy and/or dizzy. If you experiencing any of these side effects then please do not drive.
Furthermore, lamotrigine can have interactions with other drugs your are taking. always discuss this with your prescribing doctor.
Pregnancy and Lactation:
Research shows that use of lamotrigine could be used safely. However, there are some exceptions. Therefore always discuss this with your personal doctor.
– Disclaimer: this video and the comments are meant purely informational! This is not medical advice! If you are looking for medical advice always contact your own doctor. –
I want to give special thanks to my sponsors on Patreon:
– Sebastian Houwing: Investor
1: Farmacotherapeutisch Kompas. (2021). Lamotrigine.
2: Apotheek.nl (2021). Lamotrigine.
* The images in this video are used for educational purposes only. Most of the images and video material in this video come from https://www.canva.com/.
1. Verified Picasso, Fish Room
2. Patrick Patrikos, Good Times
3: Patrick Patrikios, Rockville
4: Patrick Patrikios, Grut
Follow me on instagram: @HOWTOMEDICATE
Follow me on twitter: @HOWTOMEDICATE
Support me on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/howtomedicate